20 October 2011

Menu Planning

Let's be honest...I am a slacker when it comes to maintaining a blog and I apologize.  I have grand ideas for this blog but lack the energy and desire to share them on a regular basis.  Forgive me.

So, my friend Amanda asked me to share my menu plan.  This plan is a little time consuming in the beginning but makes your life so much easier in the long run.  I basically sat down and made a list of all of the meals that we like to eat.  I broke them up by categories:  ground turkey, chicken, pasta, ground beef, pork, fish, soups/misc and meals to try.  You could also get creative and come up with fun categories:  meatless, crock pot, ethnic, etc. 

Here is just a sample of mine (and does not include all categories/meals):

Pasta
  • spaghetti with meatballs
  • lasagna roll-ups
  • penne pasta
Ground Turkey
  • taco salad
  • turkey burgers
  • turkey burger steaks
Chicken
  • shredded BBQ chicken
  • Rosemary chicken
  • chicken nuggets
  • salsa chicken
  • Chicken 'n Dumplings
Soups/Misc.
  • Chili
  • Chicken noodle soup
  • potato soup
  • Lentil Soup
  • Fried Rice
  • Pintos
Sides include: mashed potatoes, crock pot mac and a large variety of veggies.

Mr. Clark gets paid every other week so I buy groceries for two weeks.  I sit down before each payday and make a two week menu.  I use the list above to select my meals.  I try to use one meal from each category, that way we're getting a variety of foods and we're not getting bored by eating the same meals over and over.  

It is seriously so easy.  I pretty much remember the ingredients needed for our favorite dishes so making my shopping list is a snap.  You could make a master shopping list for your meals to make it even easier on yourself.

For printable menu planners go here and here.  Have fun ladies - and share some of your favorite recipes so we can shake up our own menu plans!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Planning meals in advance like this saves so much money because you don't buy anything you don't need.

heather said...

Exactly! Plus I know what and how much I need so I'm not wandering around hoping I got what I needed for the next few weeks.