30 August 2011

Recipes that Rock - Pasta Salad

img. source
The first time I had pasta salad was when my neighbor handed me a small container because she had too many leftovers and wanted to share.  It didn't look like anything I wanted to eat but gave it a try anyway.  Oh it was so delicious!  I ate the entire container without sharing with anyone!
The next day I immediately called my neighbor and demanded she give me the recipe (yeah right, like I actually demanded.  More like pleaded...)  She informed me that there wasn't an actual recipe, you just kind of throw things together.

So this is what I threw together...
1 box of Tri-Colored Rotini, cooked and drained
1 can of black beans, I rinse mine off in a colander
1 can  of pitted black olives, rinsed and cut in half
1 small package of Mini-Pepperoni's (you can buy large ones and cut then into quarters but I'm too
   lazy so I buy the mini's)
1 chunk of Mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
1 bottle of Italian salad dressing

Just combine all of the ingredients, mix together well because the salad dressing tends to settle on the bottom and you've got the most delicious pasta salad.  As a side note, I don't normally use a whole can of black beans or olives.  Add more or less of any of these ingredients to suit your taste.

Other additions that you might like to try:
Tomatoes (if we have fresh tomatoes from the garden I'll add them)
Mushrooms
Cucumbers
Shredded or diced chicken
Ranch instead of Italian dressing
Garbanzo beans
Bacon (or better yet, turkey bacon)

Just play around and make your own creation!  This is a good salad for a super hot day and a quick one to take to a cookout.

Give it a try and tell me what you added to yours!!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love pasta salad made with italian dressing. The black beans are always a favorite part for me. I'd never thought about pepperoni in it, I don't know why. I might have to try that.